Monday, June 11, 2007

Goodbye..............

Au revoir in French, Auf Wiedersehen in German, Joi wooi in Cantonese, Addio in Italian.

If there is one word I hate to use, it is "Goodbye". To me it symbolises the end of an era, the time that you have actually spent with someone, an end to the memories that symbolise the time that you shared with a person.

They say "Sorry" is the hardest thing to say, but I am of the opinion that "Goodbye" is the hardest word to say. It attaches a lot of emotions to it. If you have ever see teary-eyed people at the airports, railway stations and highways, you will understand the gravity of the word "Goodbye".

Even though you wish love, luck and best wishes to your loved ones and wish they succeed at every step in life, a part of you still wants this moment to freeze and maybe even go back.

Goodbye to me means a whole bundle of emotions in the heart and tears in my eyes and a mental movie of old times flashing before my eyes, an unknown fear of a void that will be created which may or may not be filled in someone's absence and even if it does, it will take a very long time. A feeling of insecurity and lonliness, a feeling of leaving someone you depend on for whatever reason.

The only time I made a complete fool of myself at a public place was when my friend was leaving for her hometown after finishing college, it was just too painful for me to see her leave. For the first time and perhaps the last time..... I cried in public.

Goodbye to me seems like a chapter of life has come to an end, and in some cases the begining of a new one because when you say goodbye to someone, its for the new begining of a new phase, a new career or a new life for either you or them. And like most things in life, its a never ending story.

People come and people go, you want some people to stay in your life and you hope for some others to walk out, but you or me do not control the reins of time, rather its the time that determines when, how and to whom you say "goodbye".

2 comments:

insincere boy said...

Wow, quite philosophical and moving. I guess this pertains to when you say goodbye for good, not when you are meeting the person again next day.

I can only imagine how more painful this must be 50 years ago, with poor phone penetration in India and no Internet. At least we now have the comfort of getting in touch with zero effort again...

I like the last part where it says time is in control...This looks like a line-lift from Bhagavad Gita :-)

Unknown said...

you've worded your thoughts excellently well. can relate to what all you wish to convey here. and goodbye... only for now.